Q: What are the best ways to build my email marketing list?
A: One of our clients built his email list from a few hundred to a few thousand in just one year.
So how did he do it? His method was simple. Every time he talked with someone on the phone or in person, he asked for his/her email address or business card so that he could send his contact information. He followed-up with a short email saying:
“As promised, here is my contact information. If there is anything that I can help you with, do not hesitate to contact me. Also, I’ve added you to our monthly e-newsletter. You can always opt out at any time.”
The results were exceptional–he added more than 2,500 new names to his email list in just over 10 months. And even better, within a few months he started to receive new job orders every time he sent an email to his list.
As a Marketing Advisor at Haley, I am often asked by my clientsto share best practices for growing their email lists. Here are a few of my suggestions:
- Make sure everyone in your current contact database is signed up for your newsletter or email program.
- Set a weekly or monthly goal for yourself/your team and try to meet or exceed that goal each time. For example, a goal of collecting 15 new addresses per week is realistic and attainable. Reward your team for exceeding this goal.
- Ask clients if anyone else in their organization would like to receive your newsletter.
- Add a line on your current candidate job application asking applicants for their email address. Add every applicant to the candidate version of the newsletter.
- Add a voicemail box so that those who call after hours can give you permission to email them. (“Press 5 to receive more information by email.”)
If you have specific questions about how to position your staffing firm, please call us at 1-888-696-2900, and we would be happy to offer some insight.