Using mobile technology in their job hunt. Consider these statistics from a recent post from Glassdoor.com:
- Nearly half of job seekers say they use mobile devices specifically to search for jobs at least once a day.
- 89% of candidates believe a mobile device is an important tool for job searching.
- 59% of job seekers say it’s important to be able to save a job they found on a mobile device and then apply to it later from a desktop.
And you know what drives candidates nuts?
You guessed it – a recruitment process that doesn’t work well on a smartphone or tablet. According to CareerBuilder, 76% of candidates will leave your website if it’s not mobile-optimized.
The writing is on the wall: a great mobile experience for candidates is no longer a “nice add-on”; it’s a necessity.
Is it simple and quick for candidates to apply to your jobs from their phones?
Is your website optimized for iPhones, iPads and Android devices?
Is your job board easy to search with a single thumb?
If you didn’t answer a resounding “yes!” to all of these, use the following 4 tips to improve your mobile candidate experience:
- Know your terminology. Mobile “friendly” and mobile “optimized” are not the same thing. Both types of sites display accurately on desktop and handheld devices (e.g., slideshows work correctly). But while mobile-friendly sites are certainly functional, a mobile-optimized site delivers a much better mobile candidate experience. Featuring larger buttons, reformatted content (no zooming required to view) and tap-to-email/tap-to-call functionality, mobile-optimized sites are ideal for today’s on-the-go job seeker.
- Invest in robust search features for your job board. Like it or not, your potential candidates come to your job board expecting an Amazon-like experience. They expect to be able to search relevant jobs in their field and desired geography, apply filters, and then easily view a “short list” of the best opportunities for them – all with a few swipes of the thumb. Don’t disappoint them! Invest in a job board that delivers an amazing mobile candidate experience – converting job seekers into job applicants.
- Make online application painless. Your candidates have little patience for applications that require long responses (especially when they have to be typed with thumbs on mini keyboards). Resolve to make your initial application short and sweet, so that it takes no longer than 15-20 minutes to complete from a handheld device.
- Consider adding “finish later” functionality. Include technology that enables candidates to save a partially completed application and then pick up where they left off – either on their mobile device or on a desktop. Ideally, a candidate should be able to create and save a profile before moving on to answer specific application questions.
Need help going mobile?
- Haley Marketing offers a full complement of responsive design solutions, staffing website creation services and a robust job board to deliver seamless experiences for your job seekers (and clients, too!).
- Learn the new rules for mobile optimization in this Lunch with Haley webinar on creating a killer staffing website.
- Learn about the latest technology and best practices in mobile recruiting in this Lunch with Haley webinar.