Q. I’m thinking about a new marketing campaign for later this year. What works better, email marketing or social media?
A. Tricky question. And there is no right answer. It’s kind of like asking what’s the best dessert, ice cream or cake? Some people will tell you they love cake and can’t stand ice cream. Others can’t live without their ice cream fix. And many will tell you that the best dessert is both together.
Social media and email marketing are just like ice cream and cake. Some people are passionate about Facebook and Twitter. Others are addicted to their email. And from a marketing perspective, the best solution is to integrate the tools for maximum response.
So how can you integrate social media and email marketing?
While we’ll be tackling this topic in great detail during our next Lunch with Haley webinar (Email Marketing 2011. What Works Now? ), here are a few tips for integrating email and social media:
- Leveraging email content in social media.
- Post email newsletters in your company blog.
- Share links to your emails on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn.
- Include social content in your email marketing.
- Use blog posts as the basis for emails (just like this email!).
- Include Facebook and Twitter comments in your email.
- Use social media to conduct research and write up results in an email.
- Ask for email opt-ins on your blog and Facebook pages.
- Run promotions that cross channels. Recently, a client of ours ran a contest to request recommendations on LinkedIn. They promoted the contest on LinkedIn (using status updates and groups), on Facebook, and in emails sent to clients and candidates. In less than three weeks, they collected more than 150 new endorsements!
Looking for more ideas on email and social media marketing?
September is email marketing month at Haley Marketing. On 9/29, we’ll be hosting our Lunch with Haley webinar where we’ll show you the latest concepts in email marketing, including more on social media integration.
We’re also putting the finishing touches on our new Guide to Email Marketing Success for the Staffing Industry. As a subscriber to Haley Marketing’s Idea Club, you’ll get an invitation to download the new guide as soon as it is available.
And if you have any additional questions about email marketing, feel free to give us a call at 1.888.696.2900.