How do you deal with unexpected challenges?
Life doesn’t always go smoothly. Hitting bumps can be uncomfortable, but obstacles provide opportunities. When you hit a big bump in the road, you might:
- Figure out a new way to go over, around, or right through it.
- Hit your head on the ceiling and shatter it.
- Stop, get some rest, and gain strength to move forward.
- Realize you’re going in the wrong direction and change your strategy.
Last fall, at the American Staffing Association Staffing World conference, I hit a big bump: my teammate, Jeffrey Staats, couldn’t make it to the conference due to a series of travel mishaps.
Jeff is a true expert in marketing automation. He knows the field inside and out and was slated to give two much-anticipated talks on using marketing automation platforms to drive results for staffing and recruiting companies.
Someone had to step in for Jeff, and that someone turned out to be ME.
Here are a few valuable lessons I learned from facing this challenge:
- Step Up and Shine. In the face of unexpected challenges, it’s crucial to step up. Don’t be nervous, don’t be afraid, and don’t wait for someone else to do it. Rise to the occasion and give your best effort, even if it means stepping out of your comfort zone.
- Confidence is Key. I might not know everything Jeff does about automation, but I do have a deep understanding of the challenges that staffing companies face. The key to overcoming any challenge is having confidence in what you know and sharing that insight. I leveraged my knowledge and experience in the industry to provide valuable insights and solutions to the audience.
- Embrace the Unexpected. I found out about this talk just two hours before I was set to speak. Instead of stressing out, I decided to have fun with it and embrace the opportunity. Life is full of unexpected twists and turns, and it’s essential to roll with the punches and make the best of every situation.
This experience taught me that when life throws you a curveball, you can either duck or swing. I chose to swing. It’s a reminder that unexpected challenges can lead to personal and professional growth if you approach them with the right mindset.
So, the next time you face an unexpected obstacle or a last-minute opportunity, remember these lessons:
Step up, have confidence, and, most importantly, have fun.
Even if the bump knocks you for a loop, it’s likely you will have learned something from the experience, expanded your comfort zone, or – at worse – created a cautionary tale that helps someone else move forward.
Need help creating winning marketing strategies to face staffing challenges? Want to turn a “swing and a miss” into a grand slam for your company? Contact our team of staffing industry marketing experts today!