Q: In one of your Lunch with Haley webinars, you mentioned that one of the best ways to get more sales is to become a trusted advisor to clients and prospects. Can you explain how my firm can embrace this idea and become a trusted advisor to our clients and prospects?
A: One of the biggest obstacles that our staffing clients have to overcome is being seen as a commodity. Many staffing firms send the same messages, follow the same sales practices and well–look the same. Why would a client trust you over another firm if you are both saying the same thing and inundating their businesses with cold calls? If you want to sell more, you have to set yourself apart from your cmpetition by doing something different.
One way to accomplish this is to take your firm from a commodity to a trusted advisor.
So how do you stand out?
Two words: Great content!
Great content is any kind of information that helps people to solve problems. Typically, great content is based on a combination of focus (concentrating your advice for a specific type of buyer or industry)and knowledge (about a specific process, technology or solution).
Sharing great content establishes you as an expert, helps you to build trust, and makes people want to do business with you. And as you continually deliver relevant content, you become a trusted resource. This will lead to more leads, more sales conversations, and higher sales productivity. Here are a few ideas for great content:
- Best practices
- How to’s
- Industry data – Your current clients are a terrific resource. Collect data via conversations, surveys or polls and share results with your prospects and other clients.
- Current events
- Case studies and success stories
- Thought leadership and expertise – Become an expert in a business process, in your local market, in a specific industry, or in a specific technology.
Today it is easier than ever to deliver content. The following are just a few of the resources you can use:
- Email newsletters
- Videos (both on your website and sites such as YouTube)
- Blog posts (both on your site and other people’s/company’s blogs)
- Your website – Update your site regularly to help it from becoming static
- Social networks such as Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter
Becoming a trusted advisor takes time and persistence. But, by nurturing relationships with relevant and timely content, you’ll significantly differentiate your firm, be seen as a problem solver, and have more opportunities to sell higher margin solutions.
If you’d like help brainstorming more ways to help your firm stand out, feel free to email me at [email protected]