Genius. Pure genius.
I can’t think of a better way to describe Old Spice’s current social media marketing effort. They’ve managed to get 54 million people to watch a commercial…FOR DEODORANT! If you haven’t seen them, check out the Old Spice channel on You Tube.
Here’s the genius:
1) They produced great content – these videos are funny.
2) They did something revolutionary – having the actor from their TV commercials personally address people on Twitter.
3) They created a sense of anticipation by adding outrageous new videos every day – 90,000 people subscribed to the Old Spice Channel on You Tube!
4) They created MUST SHARE content – the combination of funny and revolutionary content has made people tweet and retweet like crazy.
5) They created engagement as others strived to get their Tweets personally answered by the Old Spice guy.
So how can you apply this to your business?
Sure, you don’t have the Old Spice guy. And maybe you don’t have the resources for professional video production.
But you can create great content…
– leverage your expertise to produce educational materials
– conduct research to gain insight no one else has
– grab ideas from other industries and apply them to your business
– hire an actor to help you produce video
You can address people personally…
– respond to tweets you see with direct messages
– create personal videos and share them with specific individuals
– write blog posts targeting one person and then send a link to the post
You can build your own content channel…
– put up your series of videos on You Tube
– create a content specific category on your blog
– build a single landing page on your website with your content
And you can encourage sharing…
– make it easy to tweet about your content
– integrate Facebook’s Like button
– Encourage or even reward people for sharing your content
All it takes is a little thought, a bit of creativity, and a plan of action.