I don’t just write a lot about CX and EX; I work relentlessly with my team to make Haley Marketing a great place to work.
As I mentioned in an earlier post, employee experience (EX) is critical to building a customer-centric culture and delivering shareworthy service. Today, I thought I’d share a few of the things we do to ensure a fantastic EX for our employees – hopefully you’ll find a few ideas you can implement in your own company!
Innovations Days and FedEx Days
- Innovations Days are half-day to full-day company improvement initiatives where everyone at Haley Marketing comes together to develop improvements to our products, services or internal operations. Each Innovations Day focuses on a central theme (typically one of our company core values) like delivering shareworthy service, being the best in the world at what we do. Then, our people break into teams to work on any project of their choosing. Teams have half a day to develop an idea, and then we end the day with each team presenting their ideas and strategies for implementation.
- FedEx Days are basically extended Innovations Days that we do once per year. Just like Fed Ex’s original promise “when it absolutely has to be there overnight,” our FedEx Days are 24 hours to develop AND implement an product initiative.
- Conference attendance is encouraged. We frequently send team members to conferences like WordPress’s Word Camp, Twilio, Creative Problem-Solving Institute, TAtech Leadership Summit, Staffing Industry Executive Forum and Staffing World.
- We also encourage team members to develop themselves as experts and heighten their visibility by speaking at conferences, posting videos and creating posts on social media. In the past year, we’ve sent speakers to ASA State Councils (Washington, Tennessee, Colorado, Texas), as well as the Missouri and Kansas Search and Staffing Association.
- Weekly “Be a Consultant” classes. Led by our CEO, these interactive classes help team members build their skills as business consultants and learn more about the challenges our clients face.
- “Lunch and Learn” sessions. Team members regularly share their knowledge with one another during voluntary, informal lunchtime training sessions.
- Group training during Monday Morning Meetings. Team members with something new ideas or updates to share are also invited to lead short (10-minute) training sessions at the end of our weekly staff meetings.
- Team builders. “Work hard. Have fun.” is one of our core values, so we frequently reward our staff members for the amazing work they do with things like: bringing an ice cream truck on-site; hosting happy hours; taking impromptu beer:thirty breaks; celebrating Halloween with our annual pumpkin carving event; attending Bisons games; and more!
- Annual picnic. Each year we host a picnic for employees who participate in our annual blogging challenge.
- Annual holiday planning day and party. We spend the day recapping the past year, planning for the next, and mixing in a little fun and games. We cap it off by celebrating our achievements at a fantastic dinner party!
Soliciting/Acting on Employee Feedback
- Our employees have an endless supply of fresh ideas, suggestions for improvement, and inspiration. We proactively ask them to share their feedback in all meetings, as well as during annual reviews.
- We don’t just solicit this feedback; we implement their best suggestions. This is what our Innovations Days and FedEx Days are all about!
Other Ways We Create a Great Experience for Employees
- We’ve built a culture that reflects our values and makes Haley Marketing Group a great place to work. We offer flexible schedules, remote work options, a family-friendly environment and a casual dress code.
- We use Slack channels to recognize individual and group achievements, coordinate book clubs, exchange random thoughts and share (work appropriate) humor.
- Employees are eligible for a quarterly 20% profit-sharing program.
- Monday Morning Meetings include our entire staff and are designed to improve cross-team communications.
- Each department also conducts weekly or monthly team meetings.
- We’ve created a comprehensive onboarding program that includes: an orientation meeting with CEO & Founder David Searns; opportunities to shadow team mates; a welcome package of Haley Marketing goodies; and a copy of the book Rules of the Reality Based Workplace by Cy Wakeman.
- Our core values support our team. We operate by the “Rule of Threes,” making sure that everything we do is good for the client, our company and our employees.
Does creating a great EX take time and hard work?
Absolutely – but it’s worth it. By making your employees’ experience working with your organization a great one, you’ll continue to attract the best professionals to your team – and ensure your success for years to come.
Does your staffing or recruiting firm have a standout EX? I’d love to hear what you do! Please share your comments below.